Remember the times when you were motivated to work out and you sign up for a gym?
Or perhaps you’re like me who believes that the gym isn’t a necessity to get fit?
Either way, if you stuck around for a few days, you would’ve observed that your muscles begin to improve and you feel a remarkable change!
You keep at it, and after a month or so, you barely find any improvement for all the effort you put in!
Your body just isn’t effective for the same effort you’ve done in the past!
If you seriously were able to relate to the above example, do check that you’ve been eating and sleeping well before you jump to any conclusion! (:p)
In this weeks post, I wanted to talk about the Plateau effect that I came across in Limitless by Jim Kwik.
This effect can be seen everywhere! The honeymoon period in a new relationship! Things are super awesome in the beginning, but things start to mellow down.
Not that it’s bad, this post is about why this happens!
You can observe immunity to the efforts you put in! Things begin to stall, sales stagnate after a while, medical drugs which were effective earlier reduce their effectiveness over time!
If these weren’t relatable, I guess, this could be:
If you’ve travelled to a coastal city or a fisher’s bay/market, the first thing that you observe is the smell. But when you stay there for a while, you no longer smell it!
You still breathe the same air, yet, your brain ignores the smell!
Your mind and senses are being dulled by sameness, by a routine and slowly you get less out of the activity than what you used to before.
But why does this happen?
Two of the many reasons this happens is because:
- Immunity: Our minds love to make things easier, and love habits and rituals! But some of these, just don’t keep up with our expectations. It is a natural process that when chaos in our systems dies down, the effectiveness reduces.
- Immediate returns: More often than not, we do things that give us immediate results which may not help us in the long run.
Think of a Rubik’s cube. The overall strategy is to get all sides to have the same colour! You complete one side with perfection! (I start with white) Now it becomes tricky.
If you try solving the same methods and actions, you will not be able to solve the cube! Worse, you would complete the “Red” face, but now the “White is ruined”
Your immediate satisfaction in using the strategy is gone! What you are doing is no longer effective.
So, what can we do now?
- Change your strategy. Do things differently, but be focused on the long term.
- Remember, forward doesn’t always give the best results! To solve the cube, you have to break three layers of colours to solve the final layer. This is also called retrograde progress.
- Think long term solutions. Act on them while you are working on your short term goals as well.
- Try to identify the first chink in the armour. Something that fails first and everything goes haywire! And rectify that problem first.
Two Minute Task
1. If you’ve resonated with this, think about something that has stagnated.
2. Think of ways to spice things up- Is there a way to surprise yourself?
3. Try experimenting on different approaches to the same problem.
More Power to you!
You could consider subscribing to my newsletter as well!
- Learn something new every week by making learnings from books, videos and the world that are relevant to daily life.
- Find amazing stuff from the web to peek through the other side of the horizon.
- Some of the content may not be on my Blog.
- You will not be Spammed. Ever. Period.
The Weekly Wisdom Newsletter
Subscribe for 7-minute insights from the world around.
You would be redirected to the Mailchimp form
What will you find here?
- One article on something that is new and relevant to us.
- A Two-Minute-Task that will help you find results based on the article.
- A maximum of three links of things that stood out on the web and are fun/useful. Could be links of videos, articles, music, podcasts or books!
- And lots of love, learning and joy!